Zapier Integration Issues

I’m having some issues with the Zapier integration. I’m trying to get this to fire using the “when data is received” trigger but it works probably under 50% of the time. Are there any known issues with this?

I have defined a series of fields - should I expect the trigger to fire whenever any of these fields are filled out or updated?

For reference, what I’m trying to do is save the information from each step as they are submitted to Airtable.

I have set up a Zap for each step that looks at the field ids contained in each step - I was expecting that any time these are updated it would populate. Is this the correct line of thought?

Would all of the fields have to be populated for the Zap to fire, or just some of them?

Based on Zapier documentation, you might want to check how your zap actions handle duplicates https://help.zapier.com/hc/en-us/articles/8496260269965-Data-deduplication-in-Zaps

THe same form submission that sends you multiple data received events will have the same ID, so zapier will consider that a duplicate and treat it accordingly. Alternatively, you could also use zapier webhooks and feathery’s custom logic feature to send data to the webhook to have granular control over when and what data you’re sending

1 Like

Thanks Peter, have moved on to that solution and seems to be working.

Is there anything in the pipeline to introduce a Zapier trigger that fires when a certain field is filled out, but pulls in all fields (i.e. similar functionality to when a form is completed, but when a target field is completed instead)?

We’ll add that to our roadmap!

1 Like

Also would help with tracking if you add it to the featuee requests community topic

Hi Peter, it seems like the document upload fields aren’t coming through to the zapier webhook, even when filled out. How do I get around this?

We transmit document upload file field values as links to the files. Are you expecting a different format?

I’m not receiving anything at all - those fields simply aren’t being transmitted when they are filled out (I am receiving all the other fields)

gotcha – we put in a fix for this that should be available in ~20 minutes. It will transmit submitted file field values as part of the data received trigger

Thanks Peter, I have two upload files and can see it is now working for one of them, but not the other. Any ideas?

EDIT: Now neither of them are coming through again

EDIT: Now they are both coming through - will do some more testing and check that this is consistent

Hi @peter , I’ve figured out the scenario that causes the issue.

The document upload fields are linked fields available in two places in the form (one in an earlier step, and one on the last page, conditionally shown if they didn’t upload it in the earlier step).

In my testing, the documents come through fine when they are submitted in the first step, but if they aren’t submitted then and uploaded on the last step, they don’t come through.

I have tried setting the last step upload fields to auto submit, and have a button that validates and saves the last step, so I can only assume the issue is with the field. Is there a fix for this?

Hey Simon, we actually made an update late last night that maybe fixed this issue. Could you test again with the feathery-hosted form? Or if you have the form embedded, can you upgrade to the latest library version.

Also if you still run into this issue, can you let me know if the file actually shows up in your Feathery dashboard results? Basically is the issue with the zapier trigger specifically, or is the file not even getting to Feathery

Hey Peter, this was happening minutes before I posted so don’t think it was fixed last night. The form isn’t embedded anywhere - I am trying to get it working perfectly before I do that! I am just accessing the link via the drop down by the publish button.

I have just done two test forms and it looks like you are right - the file is not uploading at all on the fields on the last step

hey simon – took a look at your form, it’s because your two file upload fields are conditionally hidden on the last step once a user uploads the file, so it’s not actually being submitted whent he user clicks next. leaving them showing fixes it

Hey Peter, thanks for the fix.
Is there a way around this? I have them both set to autosubmit - I assumed this saved them when the file was uploaded?

For syncing reasons, we don’t want the applicant to be able to edit the fields once they have uploaded a file - would we have to create new document upload fields rather than use linked fields?

Hey Simon, autosubmit attempts to submit the step but would fail since there is another file upload that needs to be filled first. This does feel like an antipattern – it seems you should sync the file data when the step is submitted rather than when the file is changed. That would match the user intention better and allow them to update their uploaded file if they accidentally uploaded the wrong file

Hey Peter, get where you’re coming from but we have an infuriatingly complex use case where the data moves across three systems. If a user stops halfway through the form and then updates the file upload a day later, it could have already moved to the third system and this could present issues if we use it for verification.

I think the answer is to create duplicate fields (upload 1 and upload 2) and only show field 2 if field 1 is empty. We can then map both feathery fields to the same field in the downstream systems.

Does that make sense to you or am I missing something?

You could separate the two file upload fields onto different steps and keep autosubmit on

1 Like